Tuesday, August 26, 2008

August is now done

August started of great for me at 400nl but ended badly to say the least. I got off to a great start at 400nl, I was running well and just not getting into any bad spots at all. Poker was going so easy, when I had a hand I got paid off and I was also able to lay down hands as well. Then something happened around the 13th August were every single big pot I was in was a pure nightmare, the most common theme was people playing badly against me and me paying them off all the time. Most of these are just coolers and I have to learn to accept them so once again a good learning month poker wise. At the end of the month I finished down $1650 across 200nl and 400nl with me losing around $6.5k in the last 12 days or so. I also had a few tilty sessions and there was several days were I lost over $1k but again this is nothing really to worry about when a buyin is 400nl.

The bankroll once stood at $15.5k during August but due to me cashing out $2k to buy an amazing 46" LCD and losing $6.5k its back down to around $7k. This isn't the end of the world by any means but is a big blow in my aspirations to have a $20k bankroll by the end of the year. In fact only about 2 weeks ago when I was ruling 400nl over a short sample I was thinking I'm going to be playing 1kNL by the years end. Dreams can fade fast sometimes.

The plan now is not to play any more poker until at least September and hopefully I can come back with a new self confidence in my game. When I start back into I think I will play 100nl for 10k hands or so and try to rebuild from there. I'm still rolled ok for 200nl but I think it would be no harm to play some 100nl for a while again. I'm also going to be 24 tomorrow, nothing much planned, will go out for a meal with the girlfriend and will most likely go back home to Donegal for the weekend. My trip to San Fran and Vegas is getting closer with it only being about 6 weeks away now so really really looking forward to that. I still have to book an hotel for San Fran, hopefully I'll sort something out there in the next week or so. I usually don't get all the excited by holidays but I really am looking forward to this one.


As usual I have my monthly graph above, pretty grim reading. Back in September.

3 comments:

RedJoker said...

Happy Birthday!

Samuel said...

Wondering is the holiday being payed for from poker money. Tell me to mind my own business if you like but I have just seen too many people spend their bankrolls on holiday and such like which is ok if you don't mind building back up but the opportunity cost could be huge if you have to play much lower limits then you can beat if rolled. Just something to watch out for.

Pauric said...

I have my holiday already paid for. I will probably use some poker money, will all depend on my roll at the time. Either way I don't intend on using any more than 20% for spending money. Anything I do spend it on would only be for something I would not normally spend on if I was on holidays. Balla spending if you like!!! I rarely ever withdraw from my roll, total this year has only been about 3-4k as it just slows down your progress so much.